Thursday 10 July 2014

"THE DRINK" A Poem

The drink holds the drinker captive like a fly trapped in a dusty web
There is no wiggle room, there is no way to budge
They reverse roles with their children, regress to speak thoughtlessly
They yell, they cry, they fight, they threaten
All to no avail, they won’t even remember in the morning
Their actions on the drink leave them powerless,
While they ride the rollercoaster of the binge,
It takes them as high as the tallest peaks of this vast city,
While I am left with the deepest, darkest, most scariest of voids
 If a hole were dug in the center of my apartment, I would climb inside and weep
That’s the easy way out, why not pick up a drink myself
How I envy their clouded minds, altered with a mixture of exotic liquors
Whiskey, scotch, vodka
Take your pick, for they will all take you on a merry go round of inebriation
Of belligerence, take you to a place of clouded mindlessness
Yet in my jealousy I pacify the drinkers,
I profess my unconditional love as tears slide the slopes of my cheek,
As I beg of them to drain their liquor, please no more I ask
Ironically the drink possesses me as well, without a drop of liquor,
For my world revolves around the drinkers binge, so I tag along for the ride


A.N. 



2 comments:

  1. This poem is a courageous piece of writing by a young woman I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete